New to Ants

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

John Bean

New to Ants

Post by John Bean »

Hi All,

I have been thinking about building some form of combat robot for a while and having seen some of the Ant videos on Youtube and reading the posts on the forum I've been hooked.

I have started planning my first Ant...................I may have to put the cat on tranquillisers !!!

All the Best

John
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Hey John,

It's always excellent when a new person joins our brilliant hobby! What do you have planned for your first ant?

If you've got any questions have a search around and if all else fails, then don't hesitate to ask. We're always willing to help ^^.

Hope to see you at an event soon!
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Hello and welcome John!

First off, read through the rules - 4" cube and 150g are the main ones.
Second, browse/search the forum - there's lots of useful info to get you started.
Third, as Scott says, ask if you really need help, we're generally quite friendly :wink:
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Welcome to the sport John :)

As Scott and Gary already said, reading through the previous forum posts might prove useful, you can learn a surprising amount about the technical details just by reading...speaking of Reading, I'm guessing you're within fairly easy reach of there? It'd help if you could wander down to the next Reading Robot Club (early in January I believe) and see ants in the flesh (metal?), it gives you more of an insight into what speed and designs to look for than just looking at pictures and text.

Let us know if you have any questions, people are happy to help :)

EDIT: Scratch that, turns out the next RRC's on the 20th of March :P
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
John Bean

Post by John Bean »

Thanks very much for the welcome :D .

I can see I have a lot to learn !! and a lot of fun to be had in the process,

John