Pants is dead - long live Pants!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

petec

Pants is dead - long live Pants!

Post by petec »

Following the severe mashing that Pants took from Kwejibo at AWS 30 (thanks Andy!) and in view of the fact that it will need a total rebuild, I have taken the hard decision to retire Pants, effective immediate.

Clearly after 10years, and as the one remaining 'original' antweight, this is not an easy decision for me to make. However, I feel the 10 year anniversary is a sensible point to bring to an end the career of the most combative robot in the history of the sport.

HOWEVER - now it's over to you all. I need a stronger, faster, better Pants for the second decade of the 21st centuary and YOU dear people are going to design it by committee.

In the thread below, I want your ideas and suggestions for wheels, armour, electronics and an new weapon system. Remember that Pants was one of only a handful to have interchangeable weapons. Sky's the limit on this, but it needs to be try to the spirit of Pants.

Let battle commence....
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

This is strange news to hear, I was beginning to have visions of Pants still being used at AWS91 when we're all using all in one brushless drive systems and computerised Waller speed controller driven titanium wedges, fighting on with the wrapping paper and plasticard armour and surprisingly effective axe :P

If you're after suggestions though, I'd keep the axe...Baby Hell has shown that axe weapons can be reasonably effective and with a reasonably geared motor driving it you could keep the interchangability by using it as a lifter/flipper when needed :) I'd also change the armour as it does seem to get pretty badly mashed by most spinners nowadays, a combination of polycarb/polypropylene with Ti on the areas likely to be hit would protect you against most things I'd have thought.

I might have to be educated a bit on what constitutes the 'Pants spirit' though :P
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

Hmm...
I think maybe the new Pants should use geared motors and have a wide array of interchangeable weaponry that can be bolted on, I think you should keep the axe and the lifter, but have other interchangeable weapons, maybe a set of claws or something.
It's a shame to see the old Pants go, but it's had a good run, long live Pants!!! :D
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
team_blitz

Post by team_blitz »

I think that a micro gearmotor drive system would give it a better chance of outmaneuvering other bots. I also think that HDPE or similar would be great armour. It's sad to see Pants go, but I'll be interested to see the new Super Pants :lol:
Regards,
Alex Sainsbury
Wolkig Mk V and Berseker
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

:o :cry: one more servo powered ant down.... still, think its a good desicion,

1: hitec solution:

i think you should still keep a axe/flipper setup, i think micro gear powered or pneumatic :lol: errr drive should be micro geared as well...possibly 2 scorpion escs (more for weapons) an some of that thin hdpe stuff for armor, those old wheels were nice, but possily some "bling bling" wheels? lipo battery and perhaps a planet 5 tx/rx?

2: low tech-ish solution:

possibly speed hack the servos? get some hdpe armor, perhaps glue some more rapping paper onto it :lol: and keep the old rx/tx...err...get some of those bling bling wheels and a lipo battery...get a micro geared motor for the weapon...and perhaps a disco ball on the axe? :D

itl be a shame to see the old pants go, hope this works out

jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

Joey wrote:AWS91 when we're all using all in one brushless drive systems and computerised Waller speed controller driven titanium wedges
how boring whould that be :P
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I agree it should be controlled by an all in one brushless drive systems and computerised Waller speed controller driven titanium wedges. Possibly with nuclear batteries track drive and some sort of inprobability weapon.

Why not cover the old pants with more tape and continue to use it?
TEAM GEEK!
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

PeteC I have a block of HDPE I'll machine u a body like Anto3's then some 50:1 Poplu HP gearheads on a PeterW controller, atomic workshop 130mAh pack 2 cell a weapon system of a 293:1 gearbox with 2 bevel gears so the motor can sit in line with the weapon, have ur flipper or axe and cover it in 0.5mm titanium oh and 2 35mm nylon wheels of which I'll make u
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

SuperPants!
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I think I'd like to see the original pants shape, but with sexy curves and higher quality components. I might CAD something up if I get time.

Maybe we should put this to a vote, like people submit designs and people vote on what their favourite is?
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk