House Robot

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Antweightsforever

House Robot

Post by Antweightsforever »

Hi all

Just had an idea about having a house robot for the antweights, I remember it being briefly discussed before but I do not remember the outcome. I think that it would be a good addition to many of the events and would be a fun thing to build and use.

I am thinking about making it a replica of the roaming robots house robot, Major Damage. Although it would not be easy to make, it would be an enjoyable challenge, which I, maybe with the assistance of any of you guys, would like to take on.

One of the ways I feel it would benefit would be bringing robots, which are still mobile but are stuck on the arena, back into the action. This would make fights last longer and would make them more interesting. One example I can think of off the top of my head is at RRC 18 where Valliant was against Fast Dalek. Valliant was still mobile but was stuck on the wall. He could not move and Fast Dalek would not go in for the kill because of the risk of falling in the pit. This is just one of the many examples of where a house robot would be great.

In robot wars, the house robots do not fit in the size and weight regulations. It would be very hard to get a replica of Major Damage (or any house robot) to fit in the regulations. Therefore I think it would be acceptable to enter a house robot that is heavier and larger than the contestants but not so large that it does not fit in the arena. It would work very well if on the arena a small CPZ could be marked out. It would already fit naturally in Dave?s arena though.

Next we move on to the cost. As I am planning to make it a replica of Major Damage it would need all moving parts, these are:

Hammer----Park HPXF
Claw----Park HPXF?
Claw arm----? (Any suggestions)
Tracks----12V Mini Sanyo motors

With the TX, RX and the speed controller this would cost a lot of money. I am hoping that if someone decides to help me construct this miniature machine that they might also help cover the cost to make it as I am sure it would be well worth.

Maybe we could discuss it at the next event.
Thanks

Dan Townend
Be scared of the Antisocial Ant.
Dan Townend

Check out the new website

http://teamasbo.weebly.com/
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Sorry to have to disagree with you but Valiant could move, he just chose not to, and what would a house robot do, push him off?

There was an antweight refbot a while ago, with a countdown timer many years ago. I could see a use for another one of those. or a bot with a camera in it could also be useful.

Simon
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I have been giving this some thought myself, and I would gladly help you build an AW sized Major damage, though the claw itself might need a smaller servo inside the arm and have a Standard S3003 on the arm. It can and it will be done :)

Also, a camera on a bot would be cool, dunno how easy or hard it would be to rig up
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I still have the design for the refbot counter somewhere - it was quite fun, but did tend to have trouble staying out of the way sometimes.

AFAIR Oliver or PeteC has a small wireless video camera which could easily be mounted on a robot. I think Pete tried fitting it in the arena for an alternative view once, but the wireless link was unreliable. There's also the issue of protecting the camera from any errant spinners!

Personally, I'm not a big fan of house robots. I don't think they would do anything to improve antweight battles. What we probably need is more effective judging; if a robot appears to be immobile, count it out unless it proves it can still move in a controlled manner. You can't win a fight by playing dead!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

another one of my strange hobbies is model rocketry , so i have a couple of very small wireless cameras that would be great for a camera bot , i would be more than happy to build a little antweight with the camera mounted on it , also on my laptop i have a usb video card , so i can record the files into mpeg's :).
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Is that a new rule Gary? you haven't agreed to the vote on the last one yet :wink:

Simon
Antweightsforever

Post by Antweightsforever »

Hi all

Thanks for your feedback so far. If I do make a house robot it will probably have a micro camera and maybe a timer.

Although sometimes it might not have that much use in the normal events, it might be good if maybe someone could do a house robot rebelion. (just a thought) :D

Dan Townend
Be scared of the Antisocial Ant.
Dan Townend

Check out the new website

http://teamasbo.weebly.com/
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

I think it sounds like an interesting idea, Dan, I've toyed with it a few times myself, but I never came to any sort of conclusion. personally, I'd love to see an antweight house robot :)
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I wanted to build the HR just to add another Roaming Robots element to the arena. I was thinking about antweight hydraulics. Does anyone have any clue how it was done on Feeble ? I know it used veg oil, but can I use pneumatic rams like the ones on Technobots ?
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

You can buy lego hydraulics, I think
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror