motors
83%
both same
8%

Total votes: 12

alasdair

SD200 speed mod

Post by alasdair »

Does anyone have stepped instructions on how to speed mod the SD200 servos?
It would help me loads :D .
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

They aint the easiest to speed mod. When I had mine all done they stripped gears really easily too. If you speed mod them they're probably very good for one event, but after that you'll need new ones, that's what I found.
I got mine done for me, so I can't really help, but I know it involves modifying the case.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Team Terror

SD200 speed mod

Post by Team Terror »

Hi everyone:),
I am currently developing my own antweight and I am using specially modified Naro HP/BB servos. However, for those you need a specially machined part that I got from a friend. I think there are instructions to modify SD200 servos here on robotwars101.org. I'm new to the sport so I don't know much about servo modification, but I do know that you can buy ready modified servos on the robotwars101 antshop, as well as instructions to modify HS80/81 servos(I think that's the type anyway)
Jack E
Captain
Team Terror
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The biggest problem with speed hacking servo's is the power reduction. Most servo gears are around 3:1 reduction so if you remove one gear you lose 2 x 3:1 which is 9:1. The servo then goes 9 times faster but has only 1/9th the power which on a small servo is not much at all.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The SD200 modification is possible, however is proberly the most dificult servo i have done this on. I am not sure on the latest ones as they change the insides every couple of years. However you need to raise one of the gears to mesh with the gear above, the case then needs to be milled out to allow the new gear to fit. If it is not done properly gears can strip leading to expensive replacement parts.

If you do it yourself be very careful as you could ruin the servos, and you won't be able to replace them on warenty.
TEAM GEEK!