Components sources

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

petec

Components sources

Post by petec »

Not often I ask, but I'm building an ant to order (rather than kit) and need to get some bits I'm not familiar with. Want to get the bits before Xmas so can't be too exotic.

These new fangled motor things....precision motors do a 50:1 12mm motor which seems about right, however they do 3v or 12v....which are people using with Lipos? Also, is a 5A speedo sufficient?

Also, any good sources for Lipos and/or lipo chargers these days- haven't bought any for ages and I know things have moved on.

Finally, anyone know somewhere I can get a small quantity of Ti (just enough to make a flipper arm)...or even prepared to sell me some?

thanks
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey Pete

I use the Presision Microdrive 50:1 motors on all my ants, including FIN, who uses 11.1v

5A is fine for an ant, a lot of the new breed of ants use the 5A sabretooth controller

As for Lipo's, Atomic Batteries is apparently good.

Titanium: I have a sheet of 1mm Grade 5. I can send you the sheet and you can have what you need with my compliments
petec

Post by petec »

Thanks Dave - much appreciated. I wasn't aware of the Sabretooth, so that was a good tip. I'm gonna have fun sticking all this together :-)
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

PM me your address and I'll send you the Ti
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Pololu have started selling some higher power versions of the Sanyo look alike motors we all use. The 30:1 versions are twice as fast and have twice the power of the originals. To make it easier to compare I have produced a spreadsheet of the various types with all the torques converted to one type. You can find it on my web site at:
http://www.antweightwars.co.uk/MotorSpecs2.pdf
I have some of the 30:1's on order and will let you know what they are like when I get them.
They have a great range of motors and assuming I don't get caught for too much by customs they are quite a bit cheaper.
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/51
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I think I ought to get the new Polou motors for FIN. My others are fast and powerful enough, but FIN always needs more speed :)

Also, Pete C, Ti's in the post :)
petec

Post by petec »

Thanks Dave.

Anyone have interference problems with these motors? They don't seem keen on being far from the transmitter....
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I don't remember them being much worse than servo's even with the old 40Mhz radio. If you were really going to ease yourself into the 21st century Pete and buy 2.4Ghz gear, radio interference would soon become a thing of the past. The only problem I have encountered with 2.4 Ghz is I can't claim a glitch when ever I drive out of the arena.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Ive not had an interference problem either and I still use 40mhz. Is it more likely to be something to do with the position of the aerial?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The high power motors arrived from Pololu in just 11 days but I got caught for ?17.60 which was ?9.60 import/vat and ?8 for the postoffice to collect the money. Still on 6 motors that still works out ?14.60 each which is slightly cheaper than the standard motors over here. I havent had a chance to try them out yet as my wife is giving them to me for Christmas so I will have to wait a few more days before I actually get my hands on them.