My questions

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Geoncide

My questions

Post by Geoncide »

What transmitter comes with the pants bot?
And how do I build a 3 inch length, 2 inch width and 1 inch height wedge?
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

the transmiter is a hitec laser 4
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

If this is your first antweight I would concentrate on getting it to fit the 4 inch cube which is difficult enough without trying to make it even smaller.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I agree. 3 inch by 2 inch by 1 inch will be extremely hard to fit stuff into, especially if you're using servos.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Use the full size of the cube, there is no advantage in going smaller - you just make life more difficult for yourself.

Remember the robot can fit in the cube any way round. The cube is around 140mm across the diagonals, so a low-height wedge shape can easily be 130mm long.

"Think inside the box" :wink:
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

"Think inside the box"
Very good Gary I like that.
Geoncide

Post by Geoncide »

Another one
How do you build a chassis? :-?
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Depends on how much time you wanna spend on making one. I made Flippt!'s chassi/shell very simple:

1mm Polycarbonate with some reinforcement with bend titanium round the corners. Have held up pretty well against the most opponents.

Side not: If you have a stiff amour, its more likley that your bot will fly when a spinner hits it. When having flexible armour, it wont fly as long as the stiff armour. This is part of the world of physics, have fun! :P
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

You can use almost anything to make a chassis. First you need to think what you want it to do.

You can make a combined chassis/armour like Joacim has shown. Alternatively you can make a flat chassis and fit the armour/body to it.

If you use 1mm polycarbonate, be aware that it is quite flexible. It is very easy to end up with a twisted chassis which will cause all sorts of problems with steering etc. Balsa wood is stiff and very light, but a bit soft. Carbon fibre plate is excellent, but watch the weight. Styrene or acrylic sheet can be used instead of polycarbonate as the chassis doesn't usually get as much of a beating as the armour.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Balsa wood or corrigated cardboard wrapped in duct tape does the job too as long as its well protected. People laugh at me, but I'm a great believer in using anything lying around to make my ants. Nothing wrong with tin can armour in my opinion, as long as its done right.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39