Pushing Power Servos

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Geoncide

Pushing Power Servos

Post by Geoncide »

On the antweight site, what is the best motors for a pushbot?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hiya

I would say that for a powerful push, the HPXF servos are the best option, although I would personally used geared motors (50:1)

Just a suggestion: If you have a lot of questions, put them in one thread instead of making a thread for each question :)
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

In my early studies of antweight videos I came to the opinion that the wheels always slip, so the deciding factor in "pushability" is grip, not torque.

Simon
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Simon is right, traction (grip) is the key, although it is possible to strip the teeth off of the plastic gears in some of the smaller servos.

The Supertec Park Flyer HPX F/BB and the Ripmax SD200 servos have good robust gears, the 9g (and lighter) servos start to get a bit fragile.

The Sanyo-type geared motors have metal gears and are very rugged, but are more difficult to use (and expensive) for beginners.

To get as much traction as possible, make sure most of your weight is over your wheels. Reducing your opponent's traction by getting under his (or her!) wheels also helps a lot - a good shape is the key.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Geoncide

Post by Geoncide »

My bot is a Tornado hack by the way
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

You can do a lot worse than emulating Tornado.

Simon
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Simon Windisch wrote:You can do a lot worse than emulating Tornado.
Says the Tornado Emulator. :)
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

If you're using servos, I'd stay away from "hacking" the toys if I were you. They are extremely small inside and require very small servos to do so, which arent usually up to much.
I remember way back when I tried to help Razerdave get a Tornado chasis working as an ant, and we ended up having to cut the whole front end off.
And the Dantomkia you also plan to do is even smaller. Building from scratch would make a better ant.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

It has been done Dave, I remember Antomkia from 2003ish, but yes, it's harder to scoop out a toy than to build a new antweight.

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Oh I know its been done, Torrant 2 was a great little Tornado ant. Antomkia, Razzler, Chaos 2 and Anty B originally were all based around the toys. But they were all built by expereinced teams and I reakon its much easier to make a much better ant fron scratch.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39