im back :D

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

team tiny terror

im back :D

Post by team tiny terror »

Hopefully at least one of you remember me :roll: just been on the computer a lot lately and remembered the site :D and thought here i fancy a go at this again. Basically Ive been doing mountain biking a lot where all my funding been going but it more or less goes in seasons so being the end of the season i want to have a go at ants again :P

So i need some help getting started again i remember a fair amount as far as the mechanical bit goes but i have no idea what sites to go on,what parts are good and how the sports changed eg new weapons,different styles of drives and advancement on the electrical side of things.

I'm wanting to build a spinner as I've always wanted to and i don't care to much about weight because it wont be entering any comps as I'm up here in Scotland :( although id still like it to be roughly 150g. So absolutely any help would be appreciated especially stuff about where i can get parts eg transmitters,motors etc

cheers in advance

Tim
"You say jump we say how high"

RATM
team tiny terror

Rght think i will do a brushless motor pusher first instead so i can get used to esc's and brushless motors :D heres the spec so far

Motors:x2 Typhoon micro 3/3D
Batterys:need help finding 2 11.1v lipo batterys weighing 30 grams or under and a charger plus a power suply need help asap :(
RX:futuba (cant remembe the name ill try find it)
Electronics:x2 10A esc's
Armour:4mm polocarbinite

well thats just about it :)
just a couple of questions will this be fast (as in like :o fast) and will it have quite a bit of torque (enough to push a full can of coke).

Cheers in advance

Tim

RATM
team tiny terror

working on the idea of getting another 3/3d and using it for a drill motor i think this will be a super ant even though it will ant size :( i do know though the only way a drill can be affective is if it has lots of force at each end so if my ant has enough torque and i can an ant in jammed inbetween mine and the wall hopefully it will do some damage.

RATM
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The biggest problem you are going to have is that normal brushless speed controllers only work in one direction. Some of the bigger ones ie. 40 amp can have reverse but they are hardly antweight size. Craig is the only person I know who has sucessfully built a brushless powered ant but I beleive he used some custom built controllers. It was really fast but not exactly the easiest to control.
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

yea, I'm just giving it another go but personally I wouldnt recommend it, once its up to speed it fine, but when i say upto speed i'm talking in excess of 30mph, and the rapid current draw requires some substaintial LiPo, stick to standard brushed motors much easier and safer, Anto XP1HP made a hole in a LiPo the size of a pea just trying to run it
team tiny terror

Craig_Anto3 wrote:yea, I'm just giving it another go but personally I wouldnt recommend it, once its up to speed it fine, but when i say upto speed i'm talking in excess of 30mph, and the rapid current draw requires some substaintial LiPo, stick to standard brushed motors much easier and safer, Anto XP1HP made a hole in a LiPo the size of a pea just trying to run it
:o your kidding right....is that really how fast your eckon it would go on those motors.....i might give it ago as im looking for a challenge ill see though sounds a bit dangerous lol[/b]

RATM
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

XP1HP was super quick, there was simply no way of controlling it, without proper controller, the problem is to use the outrunner motors as drive and wheels you need optical sensors to tell the controller the state of the wheel, comerically avalible controllers have 2 problems, 1 they only go forward (MOSTLY) 2 they are sensorless. The problem you will have is the motor will jump and the robot will pop up and down like its got fleas, however if u hold the robot and do the same it will run smoothly, this is because underload the controller wont turn the motor on 10A, you need 40A to turn a motor underload without sensors, but then get urself a battery to send 40A continuosly to motors under the weight limit is gonna be something else
The controllers I have are custom made 4 years ago and are sensorless I now have another pair of the same with sensors but this is a custom mod and not easy to get hold of
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

The only unmodified brushless motors I have found are the Mini Tazer Reversible Brushless ESC. Although at 31g a peice you need to think very wisely on batteries/motor type.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-DYN4930.html
Fortune cookie says: Pain is meerly a feeling;
unless its PERMANANT FOREVER.

Fortune cookie no.2 says: Take heed of
Last cookie
team tiny terror

malivoirec wrote:The only unmodified brushless motors I have found are the Mini Tazer Reversible Brushless ESC. Although at 31g a peice you need to think very wisely on batteries/motor type.

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-DYN4930.html
would they do the job anto as its doesnt have to be 150grams and it will probally never be in an arena

RATM
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

possibly no experience of them personally
can i make a suggestion? why dont u use a 12mm in runner brushless motor with a gearbox from one of the sanyo style motors, it might be an alternative