Parts

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The charger you need depends on the battery packs you have.

You should not generally charge LiPo batterys at more than 1C rate. What that means is that the charging current should not be more than the rated capacity of the battery. The charging rate should be specified, if not it's safest to stick to around 0.5C. There doesn't seem to be a minimum charging current as such, but it's best to use at least 0.25C to keep the charging time sensible.

For example, for a 250mAh battery 1C = 250mA

C represents the capacity of the battery, and the 1 is a multiplier.

Dischrge rates are similarly specified, usually in the range 10C - 20C, so 2.5A to 5A for our 250mAh example. Take care with small batteries - just a couple of micro servos can draw 2A if they stall, 130mAh batteries really need to be 20C rated.

So, as Simon says, the RobotCombat charger is only suitable for 500mAh and up. Also, the JP one that Simon mentioned only goes down to 250mA, so is only suitable for 250mAh and up. If you have 130mAh or 200mAh batteries you will need a charger with a lower current setting.

Hope this helps you through the minefield of LiPo charging! :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

For the charger I can recomend the Apache Smart-charger 2020 or 2030.
The differens is that the 2030 can charge lipos and NICD/NIMH but is a bit more expensiv.

Was a pain to find the charger in the UK, only found this one:
http://www.hobbyhorse.com/nicad_chargers.shtml

It can go from 1 to 3 lipo cells and 1 to 8 NICD/NIMH cells. The charge rates are 110 to 1200mA so it cover the most.
Changing rate or number of cells is done by jumpers. More information is found on the site I linked.
It is a good charger, I use it :)
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Yes, the Apache charger are great. I have some.

I couldn't find any from the UK at all, that's why I didn't recommend any.

Simon
nate200789

Post by nate200789 »

whats the difference between the spektrum DX6 and the DX6i transmitter?
Thanks!
Nathan Finger, Team Combat Laboratories
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

The DX6i is DSM2 rather than DSM, meaning it can be used with more of their (Spektrum's) recievers, including, most importantly, their micro reciever. If you look here, the DSM2 transmitters (the DX6i and the DX7) can use all of these (the aforementioned micro one being the AR6300), whereas the DX6 can only use this.

Also, in my personal opinion, the DX6i feels nicer to hold and use, and I also find the programming a lot easier and more intuitive than on the DX6.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I think you will find that the DX6 is now obsolete so you may have trouble getting it.
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Which is a problem since there have been problems found with binding the BR6000 (the receiver built for robot use with failsafes on all channels) and the DX6i transmitter.

I too like the DX6i more than the DX6 but for my larger robots for now at least until Spektrum comes with a solution for this problem I will keep using the DX6 for robots and the DX6i for my helicopters.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
nate200789

Post by nate200789 »

Thanks!
leo-rcc

Post by leo-rcc »

Yes it will. you will have to charge it at 250mA though, I think 500mA is too big a step for them.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
nate200789

Post by nate200789 »

Great news! :) Last night I ordered ALL the components ill need to build my ant! All accept the polycarbonate. I couldn't believe the shipping costs! From robot marketplace the shipping was like 60$! And the transmitter I got was 20$ shipping! Still I got everything I wanted, so expect me to be at the next event!
Thanks!