hey

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

antrock101

hey

Post by antrock101 »

been a very long time since i posted on here i was phoenix if anyone remebers lol, just thinking bout getting into antweights for a bit of fun after my fortay into fetaherweights was a disgrace. few questions

What is the current state of antweights
metal armour allowed yet
any major changes since 2004
servos still used for drive
mini speed controllers for a spinner any ideas

gotta be cheap i'm doing this for fun and hoping not to spend like i did on my feather
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Oh, old Phoenix? I remember seeing that name in this forum many years ago.
What is the current state of antweights
If you mean that Antweight is still going strong by current state, yes it is. In Antweight Word Series 25 we had event in Holland and had the most international competitors with people from England, Belgium, Holland, Sweden and Germany (or am I wrong?). I am the one who represent Sweden :wink:
metal armour allowed yet
In the current rules (4.0) it says:
2)
j) The maximum thickness of metal armour is 1mm or 0.040" or 18 gauge (+/- 5% tolerance) (there are no thickness limits on non-metallic armour).
k) Armour consisting of one continuous metal plate must not protect more than one third of the robots perimeter (welded plates will be considered as a continuous metal plate).

any major changes since 2004
I dont really know as I started going to the AWS a few years later. Someone else has to answer that for me. But electronics and design has changed over the years. Check out the AWS pictures.
servos still used for drive

Yes, but more and more roboteers are using geared motors as they dont break down as easily, but they are bit more expensiv.
Can be found:
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/store.html
http://www.solarbotics.com/
http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/
mini speed controllers for a spinner any ideas
The technology is getting smaller and cheaper for every month, and many are using Brushless motors, which you need a brushless speed controller.

I'll let my friends fill out the rest, and correct me if by bad english has messed it up :P
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
josh

Post by josh »

just a lil plug i have some of those gearmotors for sale with wheels 20 pound a pair and a whole micro spinner set up for sale in the stuff!!! topic lol
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Hi Antrock and welcome back.

I guess a lot has changed since 2004, and yet much has stayed the same... :-?

Read the version 4.0 rules to get up to date.
Servos are still OK for drive, but they probably need to be speed-hacked to keep up with the newer robots.
Lithium polymer batteries are the other big change, give a 20-30g advantage over NiMH!

Flippt - there's nothing wrong with your English - it's better than most people on here :wink:
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
antrock101

Post by antrock101 »

ok guys i think i'm gonna give this a shot, few reccomendation for cheap light servos to go with my techonobots rx would be nice. also wondering do ppl still use servo boards as speedos on small spinner or has that all gone, and cardboard armour has that gone to. i feel like i've been trapped in ice for a long time.

ps this forum used to be buzzing wheres all the old threads and people.

pss simon do you remeber showing me your antweight at alysbury? i was the skragy 20 yr old who shouldnt have been in the pit area haha.

another question on a lighter note is pete waller still king of spinner with a failure to drive in properly lol?
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi there,

I'm afraid I don't remember you from that time. Was it 2007, or earlier?

If you can, why don't you come down to Reading in a week and a half's time and see the current state of play?

As for the lack of buzz, there's just not that many antweight robots around any more.

Simon
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I don't know about king of the spinners but I probably do still have more spinners than anyone else (5 at last count).
As for a failure to drive in I have always been one of the best at driving in (the pit).
antrock101

Post by antrock101 »

reading wat even is that aws at olivers or he gone?
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Unfortunately the forum got hacked a few years ago and a lot of stuff got lost. When I searched your old username I only found half a dozen posts, although the post counter says 300+

Things are quieter, but there are more real builders and less "vapourware discussions". Personally, I'd prefer quality over quantity any time! (We haven't had a good rules argument for years! :wink: )

For very light servos, try the Saturn S62 (6.2g each), although they are rather slow. SD200's are still cheap and very strong, there is probably a speed hack or two around if you hunt a bit.

Standard servo boards can be used as speed controllers. Oliver uses them to control the Precision Microdrives gearmotors.

Cardboard armour is still a possibility, but polycarbonate, kevlar or titanium might be a better bet if you want to withstand a full-on spinner onslaught. Having said that, shape is more important than material when it comes to fending off spinners.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
antrock101

Post by antrock101 »

anyone give me advice on the new lipos i've never used them, also where i can get a connector for it to fit in my rx, another thing is if u have a connector on the end how do u charge them lol, silly questions i know