Little help requested with a new bot - receiver, material sourcing etc. thanks.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kyro

Re: Little help requested with a new bot - receiver, material sourcing etc. thanks.

Post by Kyro »

my friend got them cut through kcut.

and yes 2mm gr5 ti

i will ask her where she sourced the titanium and get back to you
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
EddieJ

Re: Little help requested with a new bot - receiver, material sourcing etc. thanks.

Post by EddieJ »

JoeHLloyd wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:47 pm What are PPM and SBUS? Connector types? Also, it's all weight-sensitive!
SBUS and PPM are different ways the RX outputs signal for use by other components. Main difference is with SBUS you will get 3 wires that output 4 channels all together. Usually used for plugging into a flight control board on drones, which will have all the feedback from gyro, accelerometer, etc then output signal to ESCs. You dont need the extra board, so PPM is the way to go :)

Good luck with the build! (make a log :D )
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Afraid you're not quite right there Eddie, PWM (not PPM) is the one you want.
PPM is similar to sbus in that it is a single wire for the signals.
PWM is the one that you're thinking of where each channel has its own signal wire.

As for titanium, I've always had good luck with ebay.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Yes - as Eddie and George already mentioned - the single-wire bus interfaces that drones RXs use, are NOT compatible with most of the speed controllers used in Antweights.

In particular, if you want to run more than one ESC (e.g. one for a spinning weapon, and another for the drive), there probably aren't enough pins. All the channels are mixed up in the SBUS/ibus/cppm signals (in different incompatible ways).

(NB: Because I'm a bit crazy, I actually built my own ESCs which do use SBUS/ibus etc)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Ahh yea that one! PWM. I'm mixing acronyms. Thanks for the clarity George! :)
Joe, in case you already bought it - dont fret, the RX i linked is still good for you - it is actually PWM (only I dont know my PWMs from my PPMs :P )
MarkR wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:13 pm (NB: Because I'm a bit crazy, I actually built my own ESCs which do use SBUS/ibus etc)
We like crazy people. They are the best at innovation ;)
Is it a small ESC?
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

EddieJ wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:43 pm
Is it a small ESC?
Approx 26x24 mm. This is slightly bigger than the Dasmikro, but mine has one more channel (3 channels instead of 2)

https://github.com/MarkR42/malenki-esc <-- info here.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Really awesome! 1 more channel for brushed motors is a real godsend for flippers and axes.
Bots:
JoeHLloyd

Post by JoeHLloyd »

Hi all, I'm closing down my shopping list. Got some grade 5 Ti offcuts off ebay (apparently of Russian manufacture, blyat!) which I'll get waterjetted once I've designed the disc. Then I'm going to mess about anodising it myself, watch this space, haha. Speaking of which would anyone read a build thread if I made one?

Looking to pull the trigger on the following imminently, someone please shout if any of this is dumb or not going to play together:

ESC:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-mul ... -opto.html
(motor is already purchased and is one of these: https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/electronic ... KV-BLK-DYS)

RX:
https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-4CH-Mini- ... rehouse=CN

Thanks all for the help so far!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i see no compatibility issues with any of these components... im assuming you have a frsky transmitter?

not to be confused with flysky.

they both use different protocols so a frsky receiver wouldn't work with a flysky transmitter and vice versa.
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
jes

Post by jes »

JoeHLloyd wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:21 pm Speaking of which would anyone read a build thread if I made one?
I certainly would! I'd recommend writing one. People read mine and gave very helpful advice, well worth doing IMO.