Antescher Assault Systems build diary

All things antweight

Moderators: petec, administrator, BeligerAnt

DieGracefullyRobotics

Re: Antescher Assault Systems build diary

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:09 am

It's an impressive curve. Curves are hard! Especially with the 4" cube rule.

I really hope you are at least getting a small sense of pride from your builds. They are great - different and full of personality.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.

T_Y

Post by T_Y » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 am

That curve looks really good! Quite a unique design.
Thomas
Hello, World! - Antweight Front-hinged flipper (under construction)
Percussive Maintenance - Antweight 'axe'bot

voorsk

Post by voorsk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:58 pm

I didn't cut it out very well, so it's a bit iffy (first time using anti-clockwise tin snips). Can't tell from looking at it, tho. :)

I'm currently redesigning Suspicious Houmous instead of doing work. :roll: It's all going well, but I've got a question for more learned roboteers:
  • For the 4" box rule, could the bot be considered to fit if its spikes are pointing diagonally?
The main body easily fits on the bottom of the box, and with 85mm spikes pointing forward, it fits diagonally, but if it sits on the bottom and angles the spikes into the corner then they can be an extra 20mm long. I think it's allowed, as they're moved mechanically, but I thought I'd better check.

I guess it'd have to start every match with the spikes pointing skyward, but that's no bad thing because it'd look awesome as a result. 8) . I'm quite looking forward to finding out what kind of gymnastics it can get up to, too..

DieGracefullyRobotics

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Yup, you are correct, it's absolutely fine as long as the spikes start in the position they fit in the cube in.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.

voorsk

Post by voorsk » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:45 pm

Cool - thanks, Dave!

*goes back to skiving*

tomchaps

Post by tomchaps » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:05 pm

By the way, a while back you lamented the lack of cheap Chinese wheels. I've been using these, and they're fine:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-l ... 2769037524

And for the orange wheels:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-C ... 4c4dmPWoTK

voorsk

Post by voorsk » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:56 am

T_Y wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 am
That curve looks really good! Quite a unique design.
Yeah.. there might be a reason for that - it doesn't leave much usable space when it's all curves and angles! :P

Last night I attached the front flipper and the servo, but there was so little room left after adding the battery that the servo arm could barely move. :(

I refuse to give up on the melon, but I also refuse to make it a rear flipper, even though that would work. No, I have a new plan, and the more I think about it, the more the plan feels right..

Plan D.2[s4] is HAMMER TIME! :D

I'm thinking the hammer should sit right at the top, with the front of the bot now being the rind. I'm sure that if a slice of melon got angry, it would face it's enemies with the toughest bit first, eh? :P

Thanks for the wheel advice. Interesting to see the orange wheels in a narrower form. My problem wasn't the wheels, tho - it was the D-shaped axles for them to fit onto, which I've now sorted.

voorsk

Post by voorsk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am

I've spent a few evenings rebuilding Suspicious Houmous from the ground up. It's not much different to the old one, but it's a little bit more accurately built.

Due to a bit of an 'it'll do' approach to measuring the length of the polycarb, it's wound up 5mm shorter, and the way i attached the tabs for the sides means that the blades are now further back than before. This has caused a bit of a space issue inside, and now I can't get the Vex29 to fit anywhere. :P I'm sure there must be a way of doing it.. its so close to fitting!

The other shape in that photo is my newest attempt at Fermented Melon. The shape's good, but I made it out of aluminium, which makes it too heavy and won't leave much weight for the axe. It needs to be a glass hammer, but having the axe arm at the top might make it a bit unbalanced.. I guess I just need to make it out of thin polycarb and see what happens!

But first I must complete Suspicious Houmous, or else I'll have nothing for AWS! :o (altho I could remove the third motor and enter it as a pusher)

edit: before anyone asks, yes I have removed the casing from the Vex 29.

edit 2 (19th Jun): It fits! It just needed a fresh(ish) brain and bit more component tetris.
The next worry is weight! With the film still on the polycarb, no brace bar across the lifters, and 12 missing M3 bolts, it's 148g. :-? I might have to use thinner polycarb on top, and bolt some armour on the weakened front. Or just drill random holes in everything.

GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Not sure if you've already considered these weight saving options, but it looks like you're planning on using 4 bolts to hold on each lifter, which would be overkill, so you could save weight by only using 2 per side there.
Also it looks like you're using my favourite technique of holding the bot together with standoff posts, I can't see which ones, but if they're brass or steel you can save plenty of weight by switching to aluminium or nylon.

Look forward to seeing these next week!
Team Zero
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Orion - horizontal spinner walker